OverDrive, Inc. and its affiliates (“OverDrive”, “we”, “us” or “our”) are committed to ensuring the privacy of children under the age of 13 years old who use OverDrive-hosted websites, software, technologies, services such as OverDrive’s school products, and applications such as Libby and the OverDrive app (collectively referred to as “Services”).
The Federal Trade Commission’s Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) requires us to inform parents about how we collect, use, and disclose Personal Information from children under 13 years of age.
What kind of “Personal Information” is covered by COPPA?
Under COPPA, “Personal Information” is defined as individually identifiable information, for example, full name (first and last); a home or other physical address including street name and city or town; online contact information such as an email address or screen name; a phone number; a Social Security number; a photograph, video or audio file containing a child’s image or voice; or persistent identifiers such as customer or processor serial numbers held in a cookie, where the identifier is associated with individually identifiable information.
Does OverDrive collect Personal Information from children?
No, we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children. Children can use most Services without creating an OverDrive account or providing any Personal Information to OverDrive. Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to create, access, or use an OverDrive account.
What information does OverDrive collect?
In order to checkout digital content, we request children enter their library card number, student ID number or, in some cases, a PIN number or password. Our request for such identification number is solely for the purpose of validating the status of the identification number. We do not request, access, or retrieve any additional information. All information, including identification numbers, is protected from unauthorized disclosure.
OverDrive may also collect non-personally identifiable information about a child’s online activity, digital content selections, reviews and ratings, as well as Internet Protocol addresses, device types, unique device data, such as device identifiers, and operating systems.
How does OverDrive collect information?
How does OverDrive use information?
OverDrive collects information from a child in order to:
- Support the internal operations of the Services, including but not limited to support for: activities necessary to maintain or analyze the Services, network communications, user authentication of users or personalization of content, activities necessary to perform authorized school or educational purposes, and security of users;
- Determine the child’s current geographic location and/or language so that we may provide localized content and Services;
- Comply with the requirements of our publisher, library, and retail partners;
- Provide recommendations for digital content we think the child may enjoy;
- Integrate with additional service providers for use of the Services;
- Personalize our Services to better reflect particular interests and preferences; and
- Generally improve the user experience.
What if a child shares information with others while using the Services?
How can parents control their child’s information?
Parents may email SDLremove@overdrive.com to inquire if their child has submitted Personal Information to OverDrive and to request the removal of any such Personal Information from our system.
You can also contact OverDrive by calling (216) 573-6886 or mailing us at One OverDrive Way, Cleveland, Ohio 44125 USA, Attention: General Counsel.
For more information about COPPA, please visit: www.business.ftc.gov/documents/0493-Complying-with-COPPA-Frequently-Asked-Questions